Wednesday, July 31, 2013


Week 9

Assignments 1 & 2

I’ve watched some book trailers that were effective and others that did not entice me at all.  The trailer for The 5th Wave by Richard Yancey looked like a movie preview- I was waiting for it to say Coming Soon to a Theatre Near You.  I also thought it gave away too much of the plot-which served to dissuade me from wanting to read the book.  The trailer for Breadcrumbs by Anne Ursu was a montage of pictures and words set to a sappy song-and I did not find it very engaging. The trailer for Lowboy by John Wray was a spoof with actor Zach Galifinankis  portraying the author and John Wray  portraying a journalist interviewing him. It was funny and unexpected and while it didn’t give much about the plot, it did entice me to find out more about the book.  I immediately looked it up on Amazon.  I did not find a direct link to the trailer but it may have been on the author’s Amazon page which I did not have time to look at.  One of the embedded trailers (I’m forgetting author and title) was similarly  witty and engaging.  Another looked like a movie trailer.  I did not see any that were simply the author booktalking their book and I wonder if that would be an effective marketing strategy- I guess for some yes and others no- but I think that methodology would be the best as far as Reader’s Advisory goes.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment